Any five books from your “to be read” stack
Hah! Try my “to be read” shelves. Or even, “to be read” bookcases.
I have a lot of books I haven’t read yet.
Anyway. Five picked more or less at random:
- By Blood We Live, an anthology of vampire stories edited by John Joseph Adams
- Reading in Bed, a collection of essays about “the glories of reading” selected and edited by Steven Gilbar
- The Heart of Philosophy by Jacob Needleman (that bastard got me interested in Philosophy again, after I swore off it during college. I have shaken my fist at him in person for this.)
- Charles II by Ronald Hutton
- The New Annotated Dracula by Bram Stoker and Leslie S. Klinger
Why do I have a bio of Charles II up there? because he was a friend of the original badass rock star: John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester. That was a man who knew how to party, and I’ve studied his life and works in depth. He claimed repeatedly to have been continuously drunk for a year. He was banished repeatedly, on one occasion for writing a rude poem about Charles and “mistakenly” handing it to him during a large event. He partied so hard that he died in his early thirties of what appears to be syphilis aggravated by cirrhosis of the liver.
Top that, Keith Richards!