Is your beloved family Bible falling apart? Or maybe the covers are coming off your favorite book. Get in touch, and let’s see how I can help you!
My primary focus is practical repair – if you need a book restored or treated for conservation, check out SaveYourBooks.com where my friend Sophia Bogle offers online courses and book restoration services.
The repair services I offer include:
- Reattaching or reinforcing loose cover boards
- Reattaching loose pages
- Straightening bent corners on hardcover books
- Mending tears
- Rebacking, in which the cover of the book is strengthened and the original outer covering is retained
- Recasing, in which an entirely new cover is created for the book
I’m currently experimenting on my own with restoring old paperbacks whose glue is disintegrating. Most bookbinders seem to think they aren’t worth the trouble, but my family collected pulp sci-fi paperbacks once upon a time, and it kills me to see them falling apart.
The materials I use include various thicknesses of Japanese paper (for flexibility and strength), acrylic paints, unbleached linen and cotton fabric, leather, Filmoplast-R archival tape (for repairing torn, brittle paper), and a variety of acid-free adhesives.
I pride myself on retaining the aged look and feel of the book while making it strong enough to handle again. No more fretting about loose pages or catching and tearing a loose flap!
For detailed examples of my work, please check out my blog entries on restoration and repair.
How Does This Work?
- You contact me and tell me a little about your injured book.
- We talk about what kind of repair work you’d like done to help your book look its best.
- I give you an estimate (based on my hourly rate and how long I think the repairs will take). A few general estimates are below to give you an idea of what to expect.
- You send me your book and half the estimated amount. (I accept personal checks, electronic checks, and Paypal, and will hopefully accept Dwolla soon too!)
- I do the repairs (keeping you updated along the way via email).
- When the book is done, you send me the remaining balance and I send you your book, complete with insurance and tracking to make sure it gets to you safely.
How Much Will it Cost?
The exact cost will depend on the nature of the repairs, but here are some basic rates to give you an idea:
|Repair torn pages||$5/page|
|Re-attach loose endpapers (includes minor tear repairs)||$10|
|Rebacking a book (see here for an example)||$80+|
Sound good? Ready to get your books back in shape? Get in touch!